Friday, February 15, 2008

Bittersweet

When your childhood friend is pregnant and will become a mother in 7 months' time... When your little sister strikes new friendship with other people... When your best friend initiates a romantic relationship with somebody he had really liked for a long time... When your 7-year old son gains new playmates who understands techno lingo and gets higher Nintendo and WII scores than you...

When these things happened, I knew precisely in that millisecond that things will never be the same between us. The people that you have loved and nurtured have suddenly matured and found courage to spread their wings out in the big bad world out there.

All you are left with is a sense of bittersweet happiness, a feeling of foolish pride and hundreds of fervent prayers of hope and best wishes.

That their bold leap of faith into life may bring them more happiness and completeness they could have ever hoped for beyond the safe and perfect little world that both of you have created and lived in for the past years.

That they may still remember and not forgo several years of bonding just for the sake of new ones.

That despite leading a life separate and distinct from you, they may continue to invite you to share in the next chapter of their lives together.

At the end of the day, although it does feel like it sometimes, I realized that I never really lost them. They weren't mine to selfishly keep and hold on to. I just lent them to other people equally deserving of their affection. Thus, this will hopefully expand the circle of relationship that I currently have.

This time, I will learn to love not just my childhood friend, but even her new husband and soon-to-be son or daughter. I will learn to watch movies and have dinner not just with my best friend, but even with his girlfriend-to-be. I will learn to appreciate not just my little sister who is not so little anymore, but even the new great set of friends that she gets along with very well. I might even learn more tips and tricks on conquering Nintendo and WII games from other kids who are around my son's age. Who knows? Anything is possible.

All in all, it's not a bad deal. In fact, it's a pretty darn good deal.

I just have to get used to this mode of thinking. That's all.

No comments: