Friday, July 25, 2008

An Extreme but Fun Weekend

Last weekend I would say I swung from two extremes. I watched "The Dark Knight" on Saturday and "High School Musical: The Ice Tour" the very next day.

One movie is so terrifyingly dark and eerie - it actually took me a week before I could recover and blog about it. I was being treated for shock the past week (kidding).

The other is so cheerfully perky - if the songs weren't that great, you would've love to slap them silly and tell them to grow up and join the rest of humanity.

I endured waiting in line for almost an hour to be able to get tickets for the last full show (5 hours waiting time in total)! But honestly, this is one of those movies that would be difficult to not watch. Not because of the controversy brought about by Heath's suicide, but because deep in our hearts, we know that this will be a very distinct and unique Batman movie compared to others. It would be a shame to miss and watch it.

I honestly didn't notice that the movie lasted 2.5 hours. I was so riveted by Heath's performance that I was surprised it was already 1:30am. My favorite scene was when Joker gave the two boats the choice to blow the other boat up. For me, that was a test of humanity. I was ready to believe in the worst about the people. I was pleasantly surprised at the scene's ending. I think I would need to watch it at least another time to be able to fully comprehend all of the themes that were used in the movie - greed, justice, survival, love, self-worth... the list seems endless. This is NOT the kind of movie I would normally want to watch, but I still have to say it's an excellent movie.

Fast forward 12 hours after. My family plus a bunch of family friends with their kids are all super excited to watch Troy and Gabriella sing and dance and ice skate.

Even though I'm nearly in my thirties, I find myself enjoying HSM immensely. I was clapping as hard and singing as loudly as the other kids seated beside me. I can't help it! They were singing my favorite songs from HSM1!!! Breaking Free, Start of Something New, What I've Been Looking For and a whole lot more. There will always be a little kid inside me, wanting to be peskily and eternally happy. Aside from the face that Troy had a receding hairline and one of his classmates had a huge bald patch, it was money well-spent.

All in all, a very extreme but fun weekend. Not bad.

No comments: