Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Follow Your Dreams

"Follow your dreams and you will find happiness."

... Yeah, right.

MY dream is to look like Meg Ryan. Or at least, have the same hairstyle as she does since I think she just looks so darn cute and likable. Aaaaargh. Wrong dream.

I happen to pass by a parlor inside the mall last night. Suddenly the urge to do something different to my hair hit me hard. Being the weak creature that all humans are, I just let myself be led by this rather strong little voice. I marched up to the receptionist, barely glanced at the price of a haircut and just asked the senior hairstylist to "just do it."

Let's just say that impulse + stubborn streak = disaster.


As you might have guessed, changes to my hairstyle is a very good indicator of the current stress level in my life. Some play with stress balls, some just hide in a call room or some just have a nervous breakdown... Me? I choose to attack my hair. When I was younger, I would cut my hair myself. Now I've matured and delegated that task to experts.

Somehow, regardless of how disastrous the results may be, I always end up oddly feeling slightly better. I guess it symbolizes letting go of past burdens and moving on with renewed energy and lightheartedness.

Similarly, even though I think I'm nowhere even close to looking like Meg Ryan, that impulse hair cut did cheer me up. And I'm sure it'll grow on me. If I don't come to like it, who else will? :)

2 comments:

~currant7 said...

i think people feel better after some big change because it's somewhat the act of shedding the old to a new...to find something new underneath a person.
i'm sure the cut isn't a disaster...more like you getting used to the cut. :) can't wait to see you with your new do.

Hailyn said...

Cher: After a week of my new 'do, I have gotten used to it. In fact, I'm starting to like it even. Can't wait to see you again too!