Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Applying Project Management

Thinking about my vacation plans always puts me in a good mood. Moreover, knowing that I have my boss and future boss's approval for a 3-week (read: 21 work-free days) gets me in an even better mood.

There's nothing I like better than planning for my vacation months in advance to the level of detail that I know exactly what I'll do (and what I'll wear) at every waking and sleeping hour of my total itinerary. I know it sounds a bit overwhelming considering it is still 9 months away, but I'd rather think and plan it thoroughly rather than catch up at the last minute. A bit too much? Maybe. But as long as it gives me pleasure and my vacations prove to be efficient, smooth and not over budget, then I'm good.

The way I approach planning for anything is using Successful Project Management (SPM) methodology - the very same IT course that I own and train in office. I truly believe in its concepts. I also believe that it is applicable in both work and personal stuffs.

What is my project name? US Trip 2008

Who is the project sponsor? Me

Who is the project manager? Me

What is the project background?
My son's 5-year US visa is expiring by mid-April 2008. Based from experience, it will be difficult to renew it if it has not been used at least once before it expires. This project aims to plan and complete the US trip in a timely and fun manner.

What is the scope of the project?
People - me, my son and my favorite sister
Geography - USA (required), other places (optional)

What are my constraints?
1. The trip cannot exceed 3 weeks.
2. US visa expiry date is mid-April 2008.
3. The trip should be done after classes end and after awarding ceremony.

What are my assumptions?
1. Last day of school is usually mid-March 2008.
2. Graduation and awarding ceremony is normally on last week of March. This also assumes that my son will get a medal and would therefore need to participate. :)
3. Relatives would welcome us and let us stay in their homes during the trip.
4. I would be able to secure 2 adult tickets using my mileage and that my son's grandmother would pay for his ticket.

What are my success criteria?
Cost - Should not exceed estimated budget
Time - Should not exceed 3 weeks
Quality - Should have fun!!!

I haven't come up with a risk assessment yet as well as a detailed work breakdown structure and schedule. But I'm sure I'll get to that.

I also need to get this "signed off" by my stakeholders. This refers to everyone who will be affected by this project. It definitely includes my family, my boss and some other key folks.

Wish me luck, folks.


Long live project management!

3 comments:

~currant7 said...

nice breakdown.
man, you are darn organized!
i would just book and do it by now. :P

happy tripping!

Hailyn said...

Cher: I just love project management. Plus I'm OC. Perfect combination! Hehe

Chard said...

Yikes!