Monday, April 16, 2007

I Want the Tooth... Nothing But the Tooth!

Similar to the popular analogy to Santa Claus, there are three (3) stages in a parent’s life:

Stage 1 : You believe in the Tooth Fairy.
Stage 2 : You don’t believe in the Tooth Fairy.
Stage 3 : You ARE the Tooth Fairy!

Guess which stage I am in right now? … Yep, I’m (unfortunately) at the last and final phase.

I find this role particularly amusing because I have no recollection of ever believing in the Tooth Fairy (unlike Santa Claus, which I believed to still exist till about 2nd year college). In fact, I can’t even make out what the Tooth Fairy looks like (again unlike Santa Claus, which we all know wears a red suit, white beard and huge belly) - I just keep thinking Tinkerbell, for some strange reason.

But then again, who am I to pass on my cynicism about the Tooth Fairy to my wide-eyed, innocent-looking hopeful 6-year old son? Not me, no siree. I am not about to be the bad messenger and tell him that there IS no Tooth Fairy. I am not about to disclose that it was me all along who wakes up bleary-eyed at 5 am, fumbles a bit for the tooth under the pillow and groggily swipes it with a 5-peso coin and promptly falls back to sleep the minute my head hits the pillow.

No, I’d rather he discover this fact by himself – as something that all kids have to go through as part of induction hall to adulthood. And even though I was literally depressed for a couple of days after I finally deduce through logical thinking, that there is really no Santa Claus back in January 18, 1998, I eventually got over it (Yep, I still remember the exact date). And if my son is anything like me, he will too. Of that, I have absolutely no doubt.


... In the meantime, I content myself to playing the faceless Tooth Fairy. Thank God this role only lasts for a couple of years max.

6 comments:

Heustein said...

You know what's more depressing than finding out there's no TOOTH FAIRY? Well, a kid finding a P5.00 coin underneath the pillow in place of his tooth!!! I told Ralph to ask for a dollar or a P500 bill for his next tooth. It's 2007 already. What's P5.00 worth today? You're giving the tooth fairy a bad rep!

Hailyn said...

Sahia: *roll eyes*

madie said...

i got confused. u have a kid, AND dating?

Hailyn said...

Madie: Yup, I have a son. He's six. He's very nice and very smart. He's the best thing that ever happened to me.

Unfortunately, his father and I aren't in a very good relationship any more. Simply put, we're separated. But we still want what's good for each other, and what's good for our son. And part of that might involve me finding someone else who can watch and care for us as well as he could have.

I understand that there's a stigma out there, that you shouldn't date if you've found someone before and already had a son with him. But I believe that there's still some measure of happiness I can find out there... not just for me, but for everyone I know and love.

So yes, I have a son and I'm THINKING of dating in the near future.

I'm sorry if I needed to say a lot of words just to explain that.

madie said...

i don't believe in stigmas. they're just a product of people's over curiosity due to lack of sensible things to do. i just got confused. that's all :) thanks for sharing though, and i admire you're bein open about this. I know other friends who are in the same predicament. they are GREAT persons :)

Heustein said...

Yup. My sister is one of those "great" persons... (sometimes)