Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Boys Will Be Boys

Whether they are toddlers or past their prime, boys will definitely still be boys.

Fortunately AND unfortunately, my 6-year old son is no exception.

They are fascinated with action figures. Mask Rider, Power Rangers, Transformers, Justice League, Pokemon. You name it. As long as they have special powers and they fight, my son knows each and every character intimately.

They try kiss you on the mouth. Out of the blue, my son would give me a smack right on the lips even though I was obviously asking him for a kiss on my cheek. Of course, he has enough insight to know that this can only be done unexpectedly so that it will still be cute and amusing vs being just plain annoying. Smart kid, my son.

They stare at a girl's breast. I was kneeling down and tying my son's shoelace. Then he tells me, "Mom, I can see your nipples." I just said calmly, "Those are not my nipples, baby. That's just my breasts." Then he grins mischievously. *Shudder* I can't wait for the day he asks me about the birds and the bees. Whoopee.

They like touching themselves. They can't help it. Heck, my son can't help it and he's six! I swear I've never seen him soooo happy as when his hands discovered his genitalia... not even when he received his Christmas or birthday gifts. Of course, being the cool mom that I am, I didn't make a big deal out of it. I just ignored it till he got tired and slept. (I did take a picture so that I can use it for bribery IF he tries to do something really evil.)

They don't want their mothers to show any skin at all. No matter how much boys like looking at bare torsos and ample cleavage, they still want their own mothers (or sisters or aunts) to be covered from head to toe. I once wore a form-fitting baby tee that kept riding up whenever I walk. My son kept tugging it back. One other time, he even asked if I forgot to wear my jacket. That was when I tried to be daring and wore a dress that shows some cleavage, however imaginary it may be.

Sigh. I should be thankful. Really I am. Honest.

It could be worse I suppose. He could have an endless fascination for dolls or be all brawn and no brains.

1 comment:

Sean said...

That's why they're action figures. It doesn't matter if they're huge lumbering robots, overmuscled army men, or pocket monsters -- they're still not dolls. :)