Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Sense and Sensibility

I had been experiencing blurred vision sporadically for the past few weeks. I thought it was because of stress, so I just shrugged it off. But when it still came and went after I was able to take some time off from work, I wondered it if was more serious that I originally assumed.

I quickly made an appointment with my eye doctor. As it turns out, after 3 years from my Lasik eye surgery, I started to get astigmatism in my left eye. Interestingly enough, my doctor informs me, rather snottily I might add, that among his hundreds of patients, I am part of the minority 2% who actually had some imperfect vision before the 5-year guarantee was up.

Yup, even lasik surgery has warranty. Funny, isn't it? In this case, I was rather relieved, because I couldn't imagine paying a king's ransom the second time around just to correct this 75 degree astigmatism. But then again, I couldn't imagine needing to wear glasses again either. Either way, I just want to kiss whoever came up with the idea of warranty for eye surgery.

Conclusion was that I needed a touch-up surgery. And because I'm still inside the warranty period (I feel like an appliance), I can get that enhancement surgery for free. I will aim to complete that touch-up within September. (Yes of year 2007). Although I have to wear this huge and ugly goggles for at least 7 days, I feel like I should still celebrate. I think this is the only time I have actually had use for warranties. I always thought that they were just money-making schemes. Guess I am wrong.

***
And since I'm such a morbid person, this got me to thinking -- among all of my five senses (unfortunately this does not include common sense or sense of humor), which among them would I be first and last to give up?

I think the easiest for me to give up is really the sense of smell. On the other hand, I would definitely go crazy if I had to lose my eyesight.

I cannot imagine not seeing the different colors of the sunset nor your firstborn's smile. Not being able to read a book on how Jay Leno felt on his first audition or what Harry Potter's first kiss felt like. Not knowing what ecru or fuschia or aqua blue looks like. I can go on and on, but you get my drift.

On the other hand, I can imagine myself not being able smell at all. This is especially helpful when working overtime in the office and the washroom opposite you stinks like crazy. Or when you're plastered next to a bus full of sweaty people at the end of a long work day. Or being near your 6-year old son who finds it funny to fart whenever your face is near his body.

Of course, I don't want to think nor imagine that I would actually lose something a few years from now. But you have to admit it's an interesting thought to have while listening in to 20 people with different accents arguing about whether to turn on a new SAP functionality or not. (Don't ask for details. All you have to know that I am in the middle of the a late-night meeting while doing this. Sssh.)

Disclaimer: I don't want to jinx myself nor do I want to be presumptious and belittle everyone who has lost one sense or the other. This is just my personal opinion. This is just me being my morbid self. Hehe.

No comments: