Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Liar, Liar

All writers are liars.

*pause*

Okay, that might be too harsh. Or too abrupt. Let me try to explain what I mean. I think you'll be nodding your heads after you read this.

By law (my own law), writers are the creative sort. This means that they have a very hyperactive imagination. Give them a carrot and they can already see the garden full of fresh vegetables and orchids. Give them flowers and they start thinking how many kids you'll have and what their names will be.

By another law (still my own), writers are entertainers. They have this NEED to keep people un-bored. They need to keep them on their toes, whether at a party or using their pens.

By yet another law (yes, still my own, sorry. yes I really love myself.), writers know a lot of little facts and tidbits, things that are interesting enough to be talked about, but not that readily available such that it is common knowledge.

Combining all three laws makes a perfect formula for lying.

We (yes I'm included in those whose pants will catch fire) have a tendency to exaggerate... to stretch the truth a bit... to make black look grey and white look silver. We have the gift of gab. We try to make unexciting things exciting, even when we feel guilty for adding a new angle to the story.

Yes, I am one of them too. In fact, I actually felt bad every so often when I think about it.

This is why I got so relieved when I read Robert Fulghum's introduction in his book "All I Really Need to Know I Learned In Kindergarten." I love this book. I love it not only for providing good insights in its simplicity, but also because Robert was a kindred soul. He was able to sum up why writers are liars. Well, he didn't exactly say that, but he did say that he added and subtracted a bit here and there when he was editing his book.

"I am a writer. I am not an investigative journalist."

After reading those two simple sentences, I heaved a huge sigh of relief. I am not going to hell after all. I mean, I'm basically a nice person and I hate seeing people get hurt over nothing but I just can't help trying to entertain folks. And if this means augmenting another angle here and there to make the story more interesting, then why not? Robert's words actually make me weep with relief. (Yep, that's another example of me being a liar.) But seriously, I did feel better when I read his words. It's like, "Yes, finally! Somebody understands what I'm going through... and he's actually able to articulate it in two simple sentences."

Long live, Robert Fulghum.

See? I was right. You are nodding your heads as you read this. Of course, you do know that it does take one to know one right? Hehe... Gotcha!

4 comments:

Sean said...

So... in one fell swoop, Robert Fulghum just discredited everything I've said in the past, everything I'm saying in the present, and everything I could possibly say in the future?

Wow... that's harsh. Now how am I supposed to be believable? :(

~currant7 said...

i think writers have opinions and it's how one interprets these things - whether it be fact or fiction / truth or lie is all up to the reader.
a writer entertains or writes for himself/herself (partly true) with some others who he/she would like to impart these thoughts to.
if it may seem like being a manipulator...take this - it's all relative and where one is really coming from reading the entries.
no one can make you think a certain way unless you, yourself, lets yourself.
i believe in what i write ... no matter how much brash/abrupt/crude the language may be. :)

Hailyn said...

Sean: Robert Fulghum was referring more to poetic license concept which is an inherent right of the writer (I like to believe this is so).

Most writers want to impart strong and clear messages without sacrificing truth. This can be done with straight-out investigative reporting or via storytelling.

As a reporter, you have the obligation to report stories as-is. No subjective interpretation whatsoever.

But as a storyteller, we can play around in that area but we have to be conscious about staying true to the real intent and message that we want the readers to remember.

People have effectively used both for the past centuries, including you. Hope this reassures you a bit. :)

Hailyn said...

Cher: Same here. I don't write in anything that I don't believe in. That's why it only takes me less than 20mins to come up with a blog post.

That's the beauty of writing. You never know how your readers will interpret your stories.

At the end of the day, as long as YOU believe in what you wrote and you can sleep at night with a clear conscience that you have not distorted the truth, then that should be enough.