Sunday, June 17, 2007

It Only Happens in Movies

I remember watching a Tagalog movie trailer that shows how the couple met for the first time at the escalator in a mall. They were going in opposite directions. However, they both notice each other at the same time. Guy smiles first, girl smiles back, and they keep staring at each other until they have to get off.

I don't remember who they were or what the title of the movie was, but I do remember scoffing at that particular scene and thinking how unrealistic it was. I said to myself, "Now that only happens in movies."

Another particular scene that I remember from a different movie is that a complete stranger comes up, introduces himself to you and asks for your number. "That only happens in movies." Same line but followed immediately by a rather unladylike and loud snort.

Apparently it doesn't just happens in movies.

Granted, both examples above only happened once each in my whole life. (The escalator scene happened just a while ago at Mall of Asia. The guy who introduced himself to me happened to be my first boyfriend who I've broken up with more than 10 years ago). But at least I know that it does happen and those scenes aren't just figments of the writer's imagination.

I will be first to admit when I'm wrong and this is one of those times. One probably shouldn't shoot down romantic and goosebump-able ideas and deem them unrealistic just because one hasn't experienced them yet.

Who knows? Maybe someone will propose his undying love for me during a hot air balloong adventure. It can happen to us normal creatures, too.

2 comments:

~currant7 said...

amazing!
yes, i do sometimes believe in these things...hello...high school reunion and finding my mate. i think so much of Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion. :)
ring any bells? :P

Hailyn said...

Cher: Sometimes believing in magic does wonders :) Glad you have found your "magical moment" with Ed.